Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How to Get Through Seminary and Look Good Doin' It

I stand out in seminary. It is not secret. Even if I weren't self-aware enough to know that, people here sure are friendly enough to tell me on a regular basis. I asked two of my close friends their thoughts on how to best stand out in seminary and these were their responses...

1. Be a woman
2. Be Chelsea Watkins

...So, there is that.

Now, don't get me wrong-- I understand that for some people this tension in culture doesn't come quite as naturally.  I have a few tips for those of you that are trying to figure out how others of us just can't seem to help but stand out. If you're looking to become a little bit more ballsy here in this strange little world, here we go:

1. Don't get embarrassed by the use of the word ballsy. No but seriously, if you blush whenever any sort of remotely off color comment gets made... you'll be staying exactly where you started. The real world uses language that is sometimes offensive. Just prepare yourself a little bit!

2. Instead of using Christian curse words just commit to the real ones. We all know the point you're trying to get across. By channeling parts of Shoot Christians Say I don't know if you're making yourself as relatable as you're hoping. Sorry to say, it sometimes comes off more pretentious than anything else. But then again, I come off as pretentious, so who am I to say?



and last but not least...

3. If your seminary has a dress code, don't be afraid to push the envelope a little bit. Fellas, this means wearing no belt with your tucked in polo and khakis. If you're a lady, get a little crazy and don't put on leggings under your skirt that's already long enough to hide a few small children under. I didn't realize I was pushing the dress code until about a semester in. I blame growing up on the beach-- it didn't prepare me for having to ever dress professionally!

There are plenty of others, but I thought I'd keep it simple. 

What tips do you have?

4 comments:

  1. -Tell a person you are going to a bar not to witness but to enjoy the company of a non-believer and a delicious beer.
    - Skip Chapel when Swindol speaks
    -Be good at sports
    -Play secular songs on the guitar
    -Wear a two piece at the Washington Hall pool (This goes to both guys and girls)
    -Stay single
    -Be friends with someone of the opposite sex and have coffee with them 1 on 1 and not call it a date
    -Better yet ask someone on a real date and not to coffee
    -Care more about people than the rules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Javy! Oh goodness, I laughed out loud reading a few of those. I feel like all of these could be summed up as-- be a normal person who still loves Jesus.

      Delete
  2. - Ask someone of the same-sex to hangout without the pretext of "being accountability partners."
    - Ask someone of the opposite-sex to hangout. Period.
    - Use BLB or YouVersion on your iPhone during service.
    - Wear make-up.
    - Avoid using phrases like "love on," "spiritually edifying," and "laid on my heart," around non-Christians; they won't know what you're talking about.
    - It's okay to order a Yuengling with dinner, just make sure it's on draft.
    - The word is "sex." S-E-X. Say it loud, say it proud.
    - There's no need to tell the large-chested worship leader that her guitar strap sometimes pushes her v-neck to the side. Believe me, she already knows.

    I think that's all I got. I'm really glad your doing this blog Chels, I look forward to every update! Miss you!

    - Alissa M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, those were great! Also, they don't really have Yuengling in Texas, so I got a little sad reading that one because I miss it.

      Come out and visit!

      Delete