Sunday, February 24, 2013

Not Quite The Virtuous Woman Hoped For


About a week ago my roommate Lauren and I were having a lazy Friday morning. It was around 10:30 when her fiancé, Sam, stopped by to say hello-- Lauren however, was still in her room. Laying in bed. Probably on Pinterest. I wasn’t really being any more productive though-- just drinking coffee and sitting on the couch. Anyways, the point is that Sam knocked on her bedroom door and said a little something like this: 

“Lauren, you’re still in bed? It’s halfway through the morning! What would a Proverbs 31 woman be doing right now???” 

For the record, Sam was joking... I mean, probably. I sat on the couch laughing and drinking my coffee and even though it wasn’t directed towards me, his comment got me thinking all the same. What would the Proverbs 31 woman be doing at 10:30 on a Friday morning? More than that, if I were living up to the standard set by this woman who puts all others to shame, what should I be doing at 10:30 on a Friday morning? I looked up the passage to check-- that should have been the first sign though, the original woman probably would have had it memorized already. I read the verses again and again and here are the notes I took:

Proverbs 31:14 “She is like a merchant’s ship, she brings her food from afar”
I don’t know if she’s being compared to a ship in size, but I have been known to carry a lot of snacks around. Even today I found crumbs in my pocket... and I’m not really sure what they’re from.

Proverbs 31:15 “She’s up before dawn to prepare breakfast”
Yeah... I think we’ve already established that I slept in until at least 10, and coffee was my breakfast.

Proverbs 31:21 “She has no fear of the winter...”
False. I’m from Florida. I love winter, but it scares the hell out of me. The only thing I know to do in the cold is not shave to get an extra layer of warmth. Which is what everyone does... right?

Proverbs 31:24 “She makes belted linen garments and sashes”
I once crocheted my friend a pair of soft, yet ill-fitting, underwear... So I’m pretty sure I’ve got this one covered.

Proverbs 31:26 “When she speaks, her words are wise and kindness is the rule”
...Maybe it would just be best to quit before I’m too far behind since answering this one isn’t going to score me any points.

To be fair, my idea of a household at this point in life is me and one roommate, no pets. Reading this passage as something to aspire to reminds me of the F. Scott Fitzgerald quote-- “It was always the becoming he dreamed of, never the being.” I’m inspired by all the things I know I am not, yet I don’t know if in the process I will ever fully get there. For now, I’ll start with baby steps-- even if I have absolutely no idea what those are. 
I know that even if I’m never the ever esteemed Proverbs 31 woman, God still wired me intentionally, if not a bit spastic and clumsy. 

So Lauren, my dear roommate, I think we’re in the clear. Let our lazy Fridays continue!

5 comments:

  1. Yes, and you crocheted me a bearded ski cap. So.....I certainly won't cast judgment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. read "a year of biblical womanhood" by rachel held evans.

    right.

    NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made that beard covering ski hat? I have a picture of it on Jordan. Can I post it here? Maybe I should ask him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, feel free to post away! And yes, i made the beard hat. It wasn't that hard though-- so don't give me too much credit :)

      Delete
  4. For the record: the actual opening phrase from Prov. 31 in Hebrew is the feminine equivalent of "mighty man of God" (such as Gideon's posse), hence better translated:

    "mighty woman of God"

    I'd go with that job description instead! :)

    ReplyDelete